Definition of gametophyte in English:
(In the life cycle of plants with alternating generations) the gamete-producing and usually haploid phase, producing the zygote from which the sporophyte arises. It is the dominant form in bryophytes.
- Unlike vascular plants, the haploid gametophyte generation is dominant in mosses.
- Many algae are characterized by an alternation of haploid gametophyte and diploid sporophyte generations.
- The plant life cycle alternates between a diploid sporophyte and a haploid gametophyte generation.
- Example sentences
- The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.
- In both species there are several layers of cells with labyrinthine walls (transfer cells) on both the sporophytic and gametophytic side of the placenta.
- In barley, a combination of starvation and osmotic stress is able to induce efficiently a microspore developmental switch from the gametophytic to the sporophytic pathway, a process called androgenesis.
Definition of gametophyte in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan