Definition of gangrene in English:
Localized death and decomposition of body tissue, resulting from either obstructed circulation or bacterial infection.
- Feces, urine, or blood can easily contaminate the wound and infection can range from a superficial infection to septicemia and gangrene of vulvar tissue.
- The presence of deep infection with abscess, cellulitis, gangrene, or osteomyelitis is an indication for hospitalization and prompt surgical drainage.
- Vasopressin should be infused through a central catheter because peripheral extravasation could cause tissue necrosis and gangrene.
verb[no object] Back to top
Become affected with gangrene.
- The limb that is left to gangrene normally has to be cut off, and that would be a sad indictment on yourselves and a very poor response to the residents of the periphery of town.
- But the vet said the rock hand lacerated his stomach and part of the intestine had gangrened.
- Example sentences
- When they removed the appendix they found it was gangrenous.
- Her discharge from hospital was delayed by the fact that her toes were gangrenous (she would eventually lose them) and, because of blood clotting caused by the septicaemia, she had three epileptic seizures.
- The former RAF wireless operator developed sores while on marching duty that became gangrenous, causing his legs to be amputated.
Words that rhyme with gangreneterrene • silkscreen
Definition of gangrene in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.