1A raised platform or walkway providing a passage.
- As they dig amid the rubble, recovery workers are uncovering corridors and gangways that lead to the cavernous vaults below.
- On 2 July 1994 a 6-year-old boy fell off a gangway leading to a viewing platform on a New Zealand Rail train.
- Because shadows on the riverbed can disrupt underwater ecology, the gangways and above-surface portions of the pool wall may be made of Plexiglas.
1.1British A passage between rows of seats, especially in a theater or aircraft.
- The action takes place on an express train and a special set giving the impression of interior coaches was erected in the gangway of the theatre, with the audience seated on either side.
- By late 1945, when I was transferred to the North Atlantic route, the Liberator had elementary heating and two rows of seats with a central gangway, but still no steward.
- None of which saved me from a hand down my trousers after I was hauled aside for a random check on the gangway leading to the aircraft.
1.2A movable bridge linking a ship to the shore.
- Local interest was further evident when the ship opened her gangway to the public.
- However, the metal gangway which joined ship to shore was badly damaged and cadets have been busy repairing it.
- The ship's company, resplendent in white, marched onboard and cheered ship, before CMDR Sammut was piped across the gangway for the first time.
1.3An opening in the bulwarks by which a ship is entered or left.
- Mr. Carney said that he had served on many vessels, and had visited many more, where the fuel oil shut-off valve actuators were located in public spaces such as passageways, the crew laundry, or the poop deck near the gangway.
- The radioman threw several switches and began to talk softly into his mike, as Nelson left the Radio Shack, climbing the gangway to the Flying Bridge.
- Feeling none, he moved through it, and continued down the passage toward the next hatch, and the gangway next to the crew's quarters, that led to ‘B’ deck.
Definition of gangway in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.