Definition of gangway in English:
1A raised platform or walkway providing a passage.
- As they dig amid the rubble, recovery workers are uncovering corridors and gangways that lead to the cavernous vaults below.
- On 2 July 1994 a 6-year-old boy fell off a gangway leading to a viewing platform on a New Zealand Rail train.
- Because shadows on the riverbed can disrupt underwater ecology, the gangways and above-surface portions of the pool wall may be made of Plexiglas.
1.1British A passage between rows of seats, especially in a theater or aircraft.
- The action takes place on an express train and a special set giving the impression of interior coaches was erected in the gangway of the theatre, with the audience seated on either side.
- By late 1945, when I was transferred to the North Atlantic route, the Liberator had elementary heating and two rows of seats with a central gangway, but still no steward.
- None of which saved me from a hand down my trousers after I was hauled aside for a random check on the gangway leading to the aircraft.
1.2A movable bridge linking a ship to the shore.
- Local interest was further evident when the ship opened her gangway to the public.
- However, the metal gangway which joined ship to shore was badly damaged and cadets have been busy repairing it.
- The ship's company, resplendent in white, marched onboard and cheered ship, before CMDR Sammut was piped across the gangway for the first time.
1.3An opening in the bulwarks by which a ship is entered or left.
- Mr. Carney said that he had served on many vessels, and had visited many more, where the fuel oil shut-off valve actuators were located in public spaces such as passageways, the crew laundry, or the poop deck near the gangway.
- The radioman threw several switches and began to talk softly into his mike, as Nelson left the Radio Shack, climbing the gangway to the Flying Bridge.
- Feeling none, he moved through it, and continued down the passage toward the next hatch, and the gangway next to the crew's quarters, that led to ‘B’ deck.
Pronunciation: /ˈɡaNGwā/Back to top
Words that rhyme with gangwaytramway • Yahweh
Definition of gangway in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.