1A person who stares, typically in amazement or wonder.
- They all try to out beat the other with the best impression of a gaper.
- In the shade of a sycamore grove, bikers sat cross-legged on idled Harleys, heckling the gapers and high-fiving each other.
2A burrowing bivalve mollusk, the shell valves of which have an opening at one or both ends.
- Genus Mya, family Myidae.
- Areas exhibiting mixed sand and mud constitute a relatively stable substrate in which typical sand-living animals, such as sand gapers, lugworms, and razor shells, dwell.
- Well-known bivalves to which the name gaper could be applied are the razor clam, and the soft-shelled clam; but the latter is something of an exception in that it can survive for some time without water (indeed without oxygen).
- And the prized geoduck - the largest burrowing clam in the world - is occasionally found among the gaper clams in Tomales Bay.
Words that rhyme with gapercaper, draper, escaper, paper, scraper, shaper, taper, vapour (US vapor)
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gaper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.