1A person who stares, typically in amazement or wonder.
- They all try to out beat the other with the best impression of a gaper.
- In the shade of a sycamore grove, bikers sat cross-legged on idled Harleys, heckling the gapers and high-fiving each other.
2A burrowing bivalve mollusk, the shell valves of which have an opening at one or both ends.
- Genus Mya, family Myidae
- Areas exhibiting mixed sand and mud constitute a relatively stable substrate in which typical sand-living animals, such as sand gapers, lugworms, and razor shells, dwell.
- Well-known bivalves to which the name gaper could be applied are the razor clam, and the soft-shelled clam; but the latter is something of an exception in that it can survive for some time without water (indeed without oxygen).
- And the prized geoduck - the largest burrowing clam in the world - is occasionally found among the gaper clams in Tomales Bay.
Words that rhyme with gapercaper, draper, escaper, paper, scraper, shaper, taper, vapour (US vapor)
Definition of gaper in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.