- A tree or shrub of the bedstraw family, with large fragrant white or yellow flowers. Native to warm climates, it is widely cultivated.
More example sentences
- Genus Gardenia, family Rubiaceae: several species, in particular the Cape jasmine
- Yellowing, twisted foliage with tiny webs appears on susceptible species including gardenias, scheffleras, ivy, and roses.
- If you think about it, orchids, gardenias, heliconias, Birds of Paradise, and plumerias are all lovely additions to gardens in tropical areas.
- Trees with white gardenias were planted as decoration in some areas to give the courtyard a more appealing atmosphere, rather than all of it being just stone and rock.
modern Latin, named in honor of Dr. Alexander Garden (1730–91), Scottish naturalist.
More definitions of gardeniaDefinition of gardenia in:
- The British & World English dictionary