Definition of garganey in English:
noun (plural same or garganeys)
A small Eurasian duck, the male of which has a dark brown head with a white stripe from the eye to the neck.
- Anas querquedula, family Anatidae
- For every obvious crossbill, razorbill, greenfinch, woodpecker, warbler, treecreeper, swift or flycatcher there is a mysterious wigeon, garganey, gadwall, bittern, siskin, pipit, shrike or twite.
- On the other hand, it could be something rare like a garganey, falcated teal or an emperor goose.
- Bird species like garganey, gadwall, mallard, shoveller, pintail and wigeon use the lake in transit.
Mid 17th century: from Italian dialect garganei, of imitative origin.
Definition of garganey in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.