Definition of garter in English:
1A band worn around the leg to keep up a stocking or sock.
- Suave and a touch oily, the magician, all in black with a red-lined cape and red cummerbund, passes his hoop around a young woman in a black corset, garters and stockings who levitates within a shaft of light.
- To complement all of this, Cinders carries a wonderful range of accessories, shoes, veils, tiaras, feathers, stockings and garters.
- Common gifts were jewels, gloves, silk stockings, flowers, garters, handkerchiefs, and paperweights.
1.2North American A suspender for a sock or stocking.
- She wore cream colored stockings held up with garters from her corset.
- Olivia could only laugh as she hooked her stockings onto the garters.
- In the practice room, Kirby had changed into a satin corset with garters that held up ivory stockings.
2 (the Garter) short for Order of the Garter.
2.1The badge or membership of the Order of the Garter.
- He sat on his bed, still wearing his Garter, Order of Merit and knee-breeches.
- Being museum types, it was a plastic file with photocopies, but as a memorial to achievement, it meant more than the Garter or a peerage or a letterhead of doctorates.
- The new appointments follow the deaths of the Queen Mother, the Duke of Norfolk, Lord Hailsham and Lord Longford, who were all members of the Garter.
- Example sentences
- However much the glamorous image of the corseted and gartered, smoky-voiced chanteuse remains, he says they never bought into that aspect of the culture.
- No lights, no water, but, strangely, on Bourbon Street, a generator churned noisily to life and a model of a woman's leg, gartered and fishnetted, began to swing back and forth from above the entrance to the club.
- And as I looked down at the fatigued carbon fibre and the twisted titanium, a tiny spring uncoiled itself with a metallic hiss and one of the Locum's knees jerked, the gartered leg extending itself towards me in one final reflex action.
Words that rhyme with garterbarter, Bata, cantata, carter, cassata, charter, chipolata, ciabatta, darter, desiderata, errata, imprimatur, Inkatha, Jakarta, Magna Carta, Maratha, martyr, Odonata, passata, persona non grata, rata, Renata, Río de la Plata, serenata, sonata, Sparta, starter, strata, taramasalata, tartar, Tatar, Zapata
Definition of garter in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia