Definition of gastronomy in English:
1The practice or art of choosing, cooking, and eating good food.
- Far from being champions of a brave new world of gastronomy, we consume more junk food than the rest of Europe put together.
- A string of such venues opened a few years ago when the Paris food scene realized with a start that gastronomy did not stop at the Pyrenées - all things Iberian have been riding that trendy wave ever since.
- As the first restaurant chef to create menus in which each dish is served with a specially selected wine, he is a firm believer in the idea that true gastronomy should be a marriage of food and drink.
1.1The cooking of a particular area: traditional American gastronomy
More example sentences
- The gastronomy of the area, with its traditional Provencal cuisine, is exceptional, even for a country known for the superb quality of its food.
- Steak and kidney pie is but one of the many contributions to world gastronomy from the traditional cuisine of Great Britain.
- For me, it was his fascination with combining sweet and salty flavours that served him best, something more often seen in traditional Thai gastronomy.
- Example sentences
- Japanese instant snack noodles hope to dump their junk food status and soar to the higher gastronomical rank of space cuisine.
- Until the advent of the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century, only royals were wealthy enough to afford gastronomical excess, culinary inventions and lavish dinners.
- The menu features gastronomical genius such as: crisp garden salad, tuna salad, smoked chicken salad, salad foldover, chicken foldover, a fruit smoothie, yoghurt, and fruit.
Words that rhyme with gastronomyagronomy, astronomy, autonomy, bonhomie, Deuteronomy, economy, heteronomy, metonymy, physiognomy, taxonomy
Definition of gastronomy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan