noun (plural gastrostomies)
1An opening into the stomach from the abdominal wall, made surgically for the introduction of food.
- The physician inserted a gastrostomy tube into the stomach to provide additional nutritional support, which may help to spontaneously close the fistula.
- A clear catheter entered the stomach at the gastrostomy site and had passed the pylorus into the duodenum.
- A gastrostomy tube is a feeding tube that goes in the stomach.
1.1A surgical operation for making an opening in the stomach.
- A multidisciplinary team and other caregivers experienced with gastrostomies are excellent resources for caregivers contemplating the procedure.
- Six caregivers reported that pain was a problem for their child before gastrostomy, and half of these caregivers indicated less pain since the gastrostomy.
- We left the decision about the gastrostomy alone while my husband was still febrile and talked about how to get sustaining food into him to prevent hunger.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gastrostomy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.