- The administration of food or drugs by force, especially to an animal, typically through a tube leading down the throat to the stomach.More example sentences
- The test substance is usually administered orally by gavage using a stomach tube or a suitable intubation cannula.
- The rats were administered orange oil by gavage till the end of experiments.
- The reason that we did not treat the animals immediately after the nerve repair was to avoid the loosening of suture line on the skin caused by grasping the animals for gavage, which might cause serious inflammatory reactions.
late 19th century: French, from gaver 'force-feed', from a base meaning 'throat'.
More definitions of gavageDefinition of gavage in:
- The British & World English dictionary