noun (plural same or gazelles)
- A small slender antelope that typically has curved horns and a yellowish-brown coat with white underparts, found in open country in Africa and Asia.
More example sentences
- Gazella and other genera, family Bovidae: several species
- Add up all the lions, elephants, warthogs, giraffes, gazelles, zebras, impalas, topis and hyenas that live on these plains and they fail to outnumber the gnus.
- The gestation period was five months, a timetable shared by the slender-horned gazelle, blackbuck antelope, and pygmy goat.
- Here, photographers can get vantage points to compose shots of elephants, rhinos, cheetahs, hyenas, gazelles and waterbucks.
early 17th century: from French, probably via Spanish from Arabic ghazāl.
More definitions of gazelleDefinition of gazelle in:
- The British & World English dictionary