noun (plural geckos or geckoes)
- A nocturnal and often highly vocal lizard that has adhesive pads on the feet to assist in climbing on smooth surfaces. It is widespread in warm regions.
More example sentences
- Gekkonidae and related families: numerous genera and species
- There are many other snakes of all different sizes, as well as chameleons, geckos, lizards, skinks, iguanas, spiders and huge tortoises.
- While living here I have spotted many, including small shiny skinned skinks, geckos (jing-jocks and tokays), and large monitor lizards.
- A wide variety of birds, lizards and marsupials are depicted, including kangaroos, wallabies, goannas, leaf-tail geckoes and many other animals from the region.
late 18th century: from Malay dialect geko, gekok, imitative of its cry.
More definitions of geckoDefinition of gecko in:
- The British & World English dictionary