The fertilization of a flower by pollen from another flower on the same (or a genetically identical) plant. Compare with xenogamy.
- Both species use a mixed breeding system, consisting of xenogamy, geitonogamy, and autogamy; agamospermy is unimportant.
- Protogyny may also reduce geitonogamy if the flowers on an inflorescence develop so that all open flowers are in either male or female phase at any given time.
- Inefficient beetle-pollination and the automimicry system via asynchronous flowering might be responsible for the high level of pollen shortage and frequent geitonogamy.
- Example sentences
- Consequently, it reduces male fitness because geitonogamous pollen grains are barred from fertilizing ovules.
- Comparing intact and emasculated flowers open on the same plant on the same day will underestimate autogamy, because emasculation of one flower potentially reduces the geitonogamous pollen received by the other.
- This indicates that frequent geitonogamous selfing occurs.
Late 19th century: from Greek geitōn, geitono- 'neighbor' + -gamos 'marrying'.
Definition of geitonogamy in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.