(also chiefly dated gelatine)
Definition of gelatin in English:
1A virtually colorless and tasteless water-soluble protein prepared from collagen and used in food preparation as the basis of jellies, in photographic processes, and in glue.
- In a bowl over an ice water bath, combine asparagus juice with gelatin and whip until it becomes a stiff foam.
- When you think of a black-and-white photograph, you probably envision a silver gelatin print.
- Return to the blender and add the softened gelatin and blend again.
1.1 (usually blasting gelatin) A high explosive consisting chiefly of a gel of nitroglycerine with added cellulose nitrate.
- Since that time - and even more since Nobel's development of nitroglycerin-based blasting gelatin in 1875-its impact on the mining and construction industries has been profound.
- One thing that sprang to mind was blasting gelatin.
- One of Nobel's last significant discoveries was closely related to his work with blasting gelatin.
Definition of gelatin in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan