- A Kabbalistic method of interpreting the Hebrew scriptures by computing the numerical value of words, based on those of their constituent letters.More example sentences
- Another important aspect in gematria are the numerical values of letters: A = 1, B = 2…
- He does say that there was special significance in the number 18, since in gematria (an important method of divination among Jews at one time), this was the number equivalent of the word life.
- A rundown of the Hebrew gematria can be found here.
mid 17th century: from Aramaic gīmaṭrĕyā, from Greek gēometria (see geometry).
More definitions of gematriaDefinition of gematria in:
- The British & World English dictionary