Definition of geminal in English:
Denoting substituent atoms or groups, especially protons, attached to the same atom in a molecule.
- Compounds in which two hydroxyl groups are attached to the same carbon atom (geminal diols) normally cannot be isolated.
- The fellow doing it was down the hall from me in graduate school, and he was doing an obscure reaction which forms a geminal dinitrile, which themselves are rather obscure compounds.
- Particularly in the pathological examination, we discovered that it could activate and proliferate cells in lymph follicles, geminal centre, paracortical zone and medullary cord of lymph nodes.
- Example sentences
- However, fluoro-amino acid derivatives have rarely been synthesized because of the inherent instability of the geminally halogenated amine moiety.
- Although the anomeric effect was originally identified in pyranoid rings, its relevance to conformational analysis of geminally hetero-atom substituted carbon chains was immediately obvious.
- One of these involves the properties of amides that are geminally substituted at nitrogen with two heteroatoms, so-called ‘Anomeric Amides’.
Definition of geminal in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.