Definition of gena in English:
noun (plural genae /-nē/)Zoology
The lateral part of the head of an insect or other arthropod below the level of the eyes.
- In summary, it is not only essential for determining the anterior border to the progression furrow but also for the morphogenesis of major parts of the dorsal and ventral (gena) head.
- The specimen is an external mold and tectonic flattening of the genae appears to have produced a greater width than length.
early 19th century: Latin, literally 'cheek'.
- Example sentences
- Its posterior margin runs at right angles to the longitudinal axis, before swinging inwards to form distinct genal angles and a genal epimeron on the left-hand side.
- The cephalon lacks definite genal spines, and the tail spine, insofar as it can be reconstructed, does not appear to have been very long relative to the body.
- Genal regions are angular but are not developed into genal spines.
Definition of gena in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan