Definition of genome in English:
1The haploid set of chromosomes in a gamete or microorganism, or in each cell of a multicellular organism.
- The two haploid genomes of the two gametes are then combined to constitute a new individual.
- No suppressor mutations were isolated from a screen of 104,000 haploid genomes.
- The gymnosperms are characterized by large genomes and relatively low chromosome numbers; polyploidy is rare.
1.1The complete set of genes or genetic material present in a cell or organism.
- The process is repeated using every gene within every genome as the starting gene.
- There are four types of changes that may affect the order of the genes on the bacterial genome.
- This number can be compared with the 40,000 genes thought to be present in the human genome.
- Example sentences
- A DNA sequence is amplified from genomic DNA or cDNA using a high fidelity polymerase.
- The genomic DNA from all cases is mixed together in a pool and that of controls is mixed in the other pool.
- Almost nothing is known about the evolution and the genomic impact of fish retroelements.
Pronunciation: /jēˈnämik, -ˈnō-, ji-/adjective
Definition of genome in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan