Definition of genre painting in English:
A style of painting depicting scenes from ordinary life, especially domestic situations. Genre painting is associated particularly with 17th-century Dutch and Flemish artists.
- Seventeenth-century Dutch still-life and genre painting, he argued, show an objective, disinterested, view of the most insignificant things.
- In a painting of a foreshortened, claustrophobic interior, a large man tends to his bedridden companion in an affecting scene that harks back to Dutch and German genre painting.
- Already in an ambitious 1881 genre painting of his own domestic life, Gauguin had recorded a pair of wooden shoes displayed on the parlor wall.
- genre painter noun
- Example sentences
- Boilly established his reputation as a talented portraitist and genre painter at the Paris exhibitions from 1789 to 1824.
- Moreover, the genre painter, like the painter of still lifes, makes no judgments: he is interested, above all, in the objective contemplation of representative everyday life.
- Whereas the other genre painters who put more women in their work typically paint more children as well - more than twice as many as the European average - Vermeer has no children whatsoever in his interiors.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.