(also gentoo penguin)
Definition of gentoo in English:
A tall penguin with a white triangular patch above the eye, breeding on subantarctic islands.
- Pygoscelis papua, family Spheniscidae
- Elephant and fur seals, for example, once rare in the area around Palmer Station, are now quite common, as are the gentoo and chinstrap penguins that were absent in previous years.
- For his photograph, he camped out for a week on New Island, which shelters more than 5,000 gentoos year-round.
- You'll be happy to know that the penguin population is thriving and gentoos were the most populous distribution!
Mid 19th century: perhaps from Anglo-Indian Gentoo 'a Hindu', from Portuguese gentio 'gentile'.
Words that rhyme with gentoopasse-partout • lean-to
Definition of gentoo in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.