(also gentoo penguin)
A tall penguin with a white triangular patch above the eye, breeding on subantarctic islands.
- Pygoscelis papua, family Spheniscidae
More example sentences
- Elephant and fur seals, for example, once rare in the area around Palmer Station, are now quite common, as are the gentoo and chinstrap penguins that were absent in previous years.
- For his photograph, he camped out for a week on New Island, which shelters more than 5,000 gentoos year-round.
- You'll be happy to know that the penguin population is thriving and gentoos were the most populous distribution!
mid 19th century: perhaps from Anglo-Indian Gentoo 'a Hindu', from Portuguese gentio 'gentile'.
Definition of gentoo in:
- The British & World English dictionary