Definition of geochemistry in English:
The study of the chemical composition of the earth and its rocks and minerals.
- The petrology and geochemistry of these volcanic rocks show that they form an essentially bimodal association of basalt and subalkaline rhyolite, with less common intermediate compositions.
- The field-based studies were supplemented by thin-section petrography and whole-rock geochemistry to characterize different intrusive phases.
- The major and trace element geochemistry of these rocks is consistent with a rift setting, as is their association with a lithostratigraphic protolith package of carbonates, shales and greywackes.
- Example sentences
- This is also supported by the petrological and geochemical characteristics of the mafic magmatism associated with the granitoids.
- Trace elements and oxygen isotopes are useful geochemical indicators of the chemistry of the waters from which the chert precipitated.
- Comparison of the geochemical and isotopic signatures of basic and ultrabasic dykes from across the area shows that there is no systematic variation related to the age of the country rock.
- Example sentences
- From extensive databases of solubility constants and their dependence on bulk solution chemistry, geochemists can determine which minerals are dissolving or precipitating.
- Will collaboration with other geologists, such as sedimentary isotope geochemists or paleoceanographers, provide the necessary insight and data?
- Environmental management companies need geochemists to help them decide how to best dispose of toxic materials or clean up hazardous waste sites.
Definition of geochemistry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia