Definition of geometer in English:
1A person skilled in geometry.
- Halley suggested to him that he might devote his considerable talents to the restoration of the work of the early Greek geometers, such as Euclid and Apollonius of Perga.
- Our greatest debt to Lefschetz lies in the fact that he showed us that a study of topology was essential for all algebraic geometers.
- The issue of how to help students get started learning algebraic geometry is a question that almost every practicing algebraic geometer would answer differently.
2 (also geometer moth) Entomology A geometrid moth or its caterpillar.
- The body of geometer moths is thin and more fragile looking than in other macromoths.
- The larva of geometer moths, the familiar inchworms, feed on mulberry leaves.
- Little is known of the life history of the larvae of geometer moths.
Words that rhyme with geometeraccelerometer, anemometer, barometer, gasometer, manometer, micrometer, milometer, olfactometer, optometer, pedometer, photometer, pyrometer, speedometer, swingometer, tachometer, thermometer
Definition of geometer in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan