Definition of geranial in English:
A fragrant oil present in lemongrass oil and used in perfumery.
- an isomer of citral; chemical formula: C10H16O
- Tucker says lemon balm is easy to grow from seeds and contains citronellal, geraniol and geranial.
- The flavour of geranial is more intense than the flavour of neral, but both have a very similar lemon flavour.
- They describe it as having ‘a pleasant lemon-scented odour’, not unusual considering the oil was rich in the aldehydes citronellal, neral and geranial.
Late 19th century: from German, contraction of Geraniumaldehyde.
Definition of geranial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.