1A burrowing mouselike rodent that is specially adapted to living in arid conditions, found in Africa and Asia.
- Subfamily Gerbillinae, family Muridae: several genera, in particular Gerbillus
More example sentences
- In this study we measured the strategy-specific foraging traits of gerbils under both laboratory conditions and in the field.
- While most of us are all too willing to cuddle guinea pigs, rabbits, gerbils, pet mice and even ferrets, brown rats produce a reaction of almost universal revulsion.
- At school, our classroom had a small rodent zoo consisting of two rabbits, three hamsters, a litter of baby gerbils and a guinea pig.
mid 19th century: from French gerbille, from modern Latin gerbillus, diminutive of gerboa (see jerboa).
Definition of gerbil in:
- The British & World English dictionary