Definition of gerenuk in English:
A slender East African antelope with a long neck, often browsing on tall bushes by standing on its hind legs.
- Litocranius walleri, family Bovidae
- It is during this period that thousands of animals - wildebeest, waterbuck, giraffe, impala, gerenuk, buffalo and oryx - migrate from the dry Maasai steppe to the Tarangire River in search of water.
- This small but spectacular reserve gives visitors a dramatic taste of northern Kenya and its unique dry-country animals: oryx, gerenuk, reticulated giraffe and rare Grevy's zebra.
- Some animals are unique to this northern park: Grevy's zebra, reticulated giraffe, kudu and gerenuk.
late 19th century: from Somali.
Definition of gerenuk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan