- 1A cell containing half the number of chromosomes of a somatic cell and able to unite with one from the opposite sex to form a new individual; a gamete.More example sentences
- Male identity would be a cell-autonomous decision entirely independent of the sexual identity of the soma but dependent upon the number of X chromosomes in the germ cell.
- Mutated DNA can only be passed to the next generation if it is present in a germ cell such as spermatozoa and ova, each of which contribute half of the DNA of the new organism.
- A mature male or female germ cell usually possessing a haploid chromosome set is capable of initiating formation of a new diploid individual by fusion with a gamete of the opposite sex.
- 1.1An embryonic cell with the potential of developing into a gamete.More example sentences
- These types of moles are produced by the development of a germ cell that lacks equal contributions of DNA from both the egg and the sperm.
- Researchers discovered that they could develop primordial germ cells from embryonic stem cells.
- Of all the stem cells that we use in research, they come from three sources: embryonic stem cells, embryonic germ cells and adult stem cells.
More definitions of germ cellDefinition of germ cell in:
- The British & World English dictionary