Definition of germander in English:
- Genus Teucrium, family Labiatae: many species, including the American germander (T. canadense) and the European wall germander (T. chamaedrys)
- They can be trimmed almost like a topiary, if you want to use miniature box, lavender or germander.
- Herbs, such as germander and santolina, can be clipped into low hedges to create a knot garden.
- For example, programmed cell death in isolated rat hepatocytes has been implicated in the hepatitis induced by a herbal medicine containing diterpinoids from germander.
Late Middle English: from medieval Latin germandra, based on Greek khamaidrus, literally 'ground oak', from khamai 'on the ground' + drus 'oak' (because the leaves of some species were thought to resemble those of the oak).
Words that rhyme with germanderAmanda, Aranda, Baganda, Banda, brander, candour (US candor), coriander, dander, expander, gander, goosander, jacaranda, Leander, Luanda, Lysander, meander, memoranda, Menander, Miranda, oleander, panda, pander, pasanda, philander, propaganda, Rwanda, sander, Skanda, stander, Uganda, understander, Vanda, veranda, withstander, zander
Definition of germander in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.