Make German; cause to adopt German language and customs: the Poles had Germanized their family names
More example sentences
- The same system that kept women from voting for too long also kept the would-be totalitarians from completely East Germanizing the country for 50 years.
- Increasingly German Catholics became accepted into and in turn accepted the notion of an exclusive German nation with a mission to Germanize the Prussian East.
- He applauded Clough for ‘not Graecizing or Germanizing his English, as most hexameter writers have to do’ but rather ‘Anglicizing the metre’.
- Example sentences
- The capstone to Billow's Polenpolitik was his school language policy, introduced in 1900, which effectively completed the Germanization of schools in the Prussian East.
- In these regions policies of Protestantization combined with those of Germanization in the effort to create a unified Reich.
- Attempts at Germanization and Russification only fired up Polish nationalism - or indeed nationalisms.
Definition of Germanize in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.