(also gavial /ˈɡāvēəl/)
A large fish-eating crocodile with a long narrow snout that widens at the nostrils, native to the Indian subcontinent.
- Gavialis gangeticus, the only member of the family Gavialidae
More example sentences
- A crocodilian is any member of an order of reptiles that includes crocodiles, alligators, caimans, gavials, and related extinct forms.
- Our streams and rivers teem with crocodiles, gharials and a large variety of fish, turtles and dolphins.
- The Indian gharial was excluded from this study.
early 19th century: from Hindi ghaṛiyāl. The spelling gavial (from French) is an alteration probably due to scribal error.
Definition of gharial in:
- The British & World English dictionary