- 1A small variety of cucumber, or a young green cucumber used for pickling.More example sentences
- That was a thick baguette, holed out and stuffed with ham, cheese, gherkins, parsley, cream cheese and boiled eggs, all chopped up.
- Serve with salad, gherkins and cold sliced cured meats and ham.
- Fresh cucumbers and gherkins, canned vegetables, and sunflower oil, exported within the fixed quotas, are exempt from custom duties.
early 17th century: from Dutch augurkje, gurkje, diminutive of augurk, gurk, from Slavic, based on medieval Greek angourion 'cucumber'.
More definitions of gherkinDefinition of gherkin in:
- The British & World English dictionary