Infection of the intestine with a flagellate protozoan, which causes diarrhea and other symptoms.
- The protozoan is Giardia lamblia, phylum Metamonada, kingdom Protista
More example sentences
- A history of gradual onset of a mild diarrhea helps differentiate giardiasis or other parasite infections from bacterial etiologies.
- Local health hazards such as rabies, Lyme disease, giardiasis and maybe other problems need extra planning.
- Medicinal herbs can be used to both alleviate the symptoms of giardiasis and clear the infection.
early 20th century: from modern Latin Giardia (from the name of Alfred M. Giard (1846–1908), French biologist) + -asis.
Definition of giardiasis in:
- The British & World English dictionary