- During the war we had a gig with a cart horse and used to bowl along around the north-west end of town - great transport when petrol was rationed.
- Luckily for him, her carriage was an open gig, and she had no trouble hearing him above the crickets and the wind.
- On one occasion the Archdeacon conducted a service on the verandah and the neighbours arrived for this in gigs, on horseback and in cars.
Late 18th century: apparently a transferred sense of obsolete gig 'a flighty girl', which was also applied to various objects or devices that whirled.
Words that rhyme with gigbig, brig, dig, fig, grig, jig, lig, pig, prig, rig, snig, sprig, swig, tig, trig, twig, Whig, wig
- Imagine being a successful Jazz musician playing gigs on the road, performing in the Big Apple's coolest clubs and even under the stage lights of Broadway.
- I also did quite a lot of gigs with different set-ups and I always had to re-arrange the music again for these gigs, which takes a lot of time.
- This not-to-be-missed gig on November 6 at 8.30 pm is a welcome highlight for all fans of traditional music and live gigs.
- I figured if I want to pursue writing as a real, hopefully money-making gig in the future, I'd better get used to doing it on a regular basis.
- I'm keeping my correspondent's name confidential, just in case there's a chance of more copyediting gigs in the future.
- Volunteering helped him secure his first paying gig as an assistant director of business and legal affairs.
verb (gigs, gigging, gigged)[no object]
- That, my friends, could be the album's only fatal flaw - they've been gigging solidly with these songs, and when the album's released they'll be gigging with them again.
- Evidently, from the tight togetherness of the playing here, these were accomplished show bands used to endlessly gigging.
- We plan to gig as much as we can and hopefully get an album released, we have enough material.
1920s: of unknown origin.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.