- 1Cover thinly with gold.More example sentences
- While most were of a standard alloy of leaded bronze some were gilded or made in gold or silver.
- They came to it rather quickly, the largest building in the village that was covered in jewels and gilded with gold.
- Almost everything was gilded in gold, and the room seemed to sparkle.
gild the lily
- Try to improve what is already beautiful or excellent.[misquotation, from 'To gild refined gold, to paint the lily; to throw perfume on the violet, … is wasteful, and ridiculous excess' (Shakespeare's King John vi. ii. 11)]More example sentences
- ‘Today we were magnificent,’ said O'Neill. somewhat gilding the lily.
- I feel that commenting on this response would be gilding the lily.
- They believe they are right, and have never gilded the lily.
- More example sentences
- Such results were deliberately expensive and labor intensive, requiring the most inventive designers, skilled carvers, expert gilders, and experienced glassmakers.
- The firm employed approximately one hundred specialized workers including gilders, carpenters, upholsterers, repairmen, and glaziers.
- Many artists were also gilders, frame makers, or sign and coach painters.
Old English gyldan, of Germanic origin; related to gold.