noun (plural gilets pronunc. same)
- A light sleeveless padded jacket.More example sentences
- Mrs Todd recommends a gilet, smart trousers and a T-shirt for chic and practical show wear.
- We are also selling many gilets this autumn which allow people warmth with out the encumbrance of a jacket.
- From the inside pocket of his gilet he drew a black piece of cloth.
late 19th century: French, 'waistcoat', from Spanish jileco, from Turkish yelek.
More definitions of giletDefinition of gilet in:
- The British & World English dictionary