1(Especially of paper or a book) having a gilded edge or edges.
- Embroidery lay abandoned on a round table along with a book, three gilt-edged porcelain cups still containing tea, and a teapot.
- The wedding bill will include gilt-edged invites, $300,000 floral displays and a 10-tier cake costing $10,000.
- Small black-and-white photos accent walls dominated by two gilt-edged mirrors.
1.1Relating to or denoting stocks or other securities that are regarded as extremely reliable investments.
- This means more investment in long-dated gilt-edged stock for the greater certainty of returns, and less in volatile equities.
- But there is another outcome that some in the market cannot discount, and which has caused the recent flurry of interest in inflation-linked gilt-edged stock.
- Even the largest gilt-edged issues were only a quarter of this size.
Words that rhyme with gilt-edgedunfledged, unhedged
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of gilt-edged in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.