In a careful or cautious manner: Jackson sat down very gingerly
More example sentences
- He jumped as flames licked his tail and sprinted gingerly away, careful to avoid more pain.
- When he returns I'm sitting gingerly in the corner of the very small dance floor.
- Nicky returned from washing his hands and sat gingerly on the edge of the sofa.
cautiously, carefully, with care, warily, charily, circumspectly, delicately;
heedfully, watchfully, vigilantly, attentively;
- Example sentences
- After some cautious prodding I put some weight on it, checked that the muscles worked both ways and limped downstairs, exploring the outer limits of gingerliness.
- But nonetheless you couldn't escape the general gingerliness of the show, the forced politeness of the proceedings.
- For the past 10 years he has lived with his family in New York, and a reader senses in his rather elaborate approach a gingerliness about going back.
Early 16th century (in the sense 'daintily, mincingly'): perhaps from Old French gensor 'delicate', comparative of gent 'graceful', from Latin genitus 'well-born'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.