noun (plural ginglymi /-ˌmī, -ˌmē/)Anatomy
- A hingelike joint, such as the elbow or knee, that allows movement in only one plane.More example sentences
- Some people have very strong ginglymi.
- The knee-joint was formerly described as a ginglymus or hinge-joint, but is really of a much more complicated character.
- At the junction on each side of trochantin and post-clypeus is a concave process for articulation with the ginglymus of the mandible.
late 16th century: modern Latin, from Greek ginglumos 'hinge'.
More definitions of ginglymusDefinition of ginglymus in:
- The British & World English dictionary