Definition of ginseng in English:
1A plant tuber credited with various tonic and medicinal properties, especially in East Asia.
- For this reason ginseng has been called the ‘king of tonic medicine’ in the Orient and a panacea in the West.
- Read on to learn more about ginseng's amazing healing properties.
- They have bought a lot of ginseng and other tonics to boost his nutrition intake.
2The plant from which ginseng is obtained, native to eastern Asia and North America.
- Genus Panax, family Araliaceae: several species, in particular the Asian P. pseudoginseng and the North American P. quinquefolius
- Harvest herb roots including bloodroot, chicory, ginseng, and golden seal in the fall, after the foliage fades.
- Panax ginseng is the herb most people are familiar with.
Mid 17th century: from Chinese rénshēn, from rén 'man' + shēn, a kind of herb (because of the supposed resemblance of the forked root to a person).
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan