- A large iron or steel beam or compound structure used for building bridges and the framework of large buildings.More example sentences
- It depicts a construction worker hanging desperately from a steel girder on a building site.
- Black construction workers tight-rope walked along the high steel girders of the airport building.
- These segments were supported by steel truss girders on falsework.
early 17th century: from gird1 in the archaic sense 'brace, strengthen'.
More definitions of girderDefinition of girder in:
- The British & World English dictionary