Definition of gizzard in English:
1A muscular, thick-walled part of a bird’s stomach for grinding food, typically with grit. Also called ventriculus.
- They have been known, like other members of this group, to swallow grit to help grind coarse food in their gizzards.
- Grit is used by many birds to help them grind their food in their gizzards.
- They draw out guts, pull livers, cut wings and gizzards, pop thigh bones.
1.1A muscular stomach of some fish, insects, mollusks, and other invertebrates.
- Two fish in the gizzard shad-access treatment (two different enclosures) died 8 days following the introduction of fish.
- In Florida, the diet was comprised mainly of fishes, with gizzard shad, bullhead catfish, and small bluegill particularly common.
- We conducted two mesocosm experiments to determine the effects of sediment feeding by gizzard shad and fish size on nutrient and phytoplankton dynamics.
Definition of gizzard in:
- British & World English dictionary