noun (plural same or glacises)
- A gently sloping bank, in particular one that slopes down from a fort, exposing attackers to the defenders' missiles.More example sentences
- Built in the glacis style, there is no berm but a continuous 11 m. slope from the ditch bottom to the bank top.
- Its purpose was that of a glacis of an ancient castle.
- Abutting the glacis of the Acropolis at Athens is the great theatre of Dionysis.
late 17th century: from French, from Old French glacier 'to slip', from glace 'ice', based on Latin glacies.
More definitions of glacisDefinition of glacis in:
- The British & World English dictionary