Definition of glass fiber in English:
1A filament of glass.
- The modulator makes it possible to switch off and on a tiny laser beam and direct it into an ultrathin glass fiber.
- A few vase sponges in the Caribbean have tiny calcium spicules that have an effect similar to that of glass fibre if rubbed against the softer parts of the skin.
- With the steady growth of cable TV, and these companies using glass fibre cables much closer to the end-user, the total length of fibre-optic cable now laid is much greater than this figure.
1.1chiefly British A strong plastic, textile, or other material containing embedded glass filaments for reinforcement.
- The material contains both glass fiber and mineral reinforcements.
- The hulls are laminated inside and outside with fibre reinforced plastic composed of glass fibre and carbon laminates bound with vinyl ester and polyester resin.
- The most important boron compound commercially is sodium borate, used in the manufacture of borosilicate glass, glass fiber insulation, and textile glass fiber.
Definition of glass fiber in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia