Definition of glass lizard in English:
A legless burrowing lizard of snakelike appearance, with smooth shiny skin and an easily detached tail, native to Eurasia, Africa, and America. Also called glass snake.
- Genus Ophisaurus, family Anguidae: several species
- Among the interesting species introduced in these pages is a glass lizard that can break its tail into pieces that keep moving and distract a predator.
- At first glance a glass lizard may be mistaken for a snake, but they have distinct differences.
- However, unlike snakes, eastern glass lizards have movable eyelids and external ear openings.
Definition of glass lizard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.