Definition of glauconite in English:
A greenish clay mineral of the illite group, found chiefly in marine sands.
- At the base of the Reading Formation are several metres of brown clay-rich sand with glauconite, flint pebbles and oyster shells.
- In addition, colors that can be produced by using mixtures of the just-mentioned basic pigments, in some cases along with glauconite and charred bone, are also noted and illustrated.
- Rounded 1 mm grains of glauconite occur in the Pentecost Sandstone.
- Example sentences
- The upper part comprises clay-rich glauconitic sands without shell debris, and with patchy areas of orange-brown and reddish - brown staining toward the top.
- The lowermost 6 m consist of dark grey-green glauconitic sands.
- The bones were preserved in a poorly consolidated, glauconitic sandy matrix that was easily removed using a dental pick and soft brush after initial consolidation of the bones with acrylic resin.
Definition of glauconite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan