(also glenoid cavity)
- A shallow depression on a bone into which another bone fits to form a joint, especially that on the scapula into which the head of the humerus fits.More example sentences
- This joint is formed where your upper arm bone meets the glenoid cavity, which is part of your shoulder blade (scapula).
- The shoulder joint is a synovial, ball-and-socket type joint formed by the head of the humerus and glenoid cavity of the scapula.
- The glenohumeral joint represents the articulation of the humerus with the glenoid fossa, and it is the most mobile joint in the body.
early 18th century: glenoid from French glénoïde, from Greek glēnoeidēs, from glēnē 'socket'.
More definitions of glenoid fossaDefinition of glenoid fossa in:
- The British & World English dictionary