Definition of glitch in English:
- There concerns centre on ATM-style voting machines that computer scientists have criticised for software glitches, hacking and malfunctioning.
- The woman in the call centre told me that the letter had been sent out by accident - a computer glitch, she told me.
- However, the department has dismissed the issue as a temporary glitch and says the tagging of sheep will do a lot more for the credibility of the industry than farmers care to admit.
- As your ruler Mercury goes retrograde, you could experience an unexpected glitch.
- The trick is to be prepared for all the unexpected glitches.
- I was the unexpected glitch in everyone's plan.
- The laboratory demonstration is related to puzzling glitches observed by astronomers in the otherwise smooth, rapid rotation of pulsars.
- Notice that the lines of the flow-volume curve are free of glitches and irregularities.
verb[no object] chiefly US Back to top
- The old combat system glitched frequently and simply wasn't capable of handling multiple contacts, limiting its usefulness in a hostile situation.
- On Saturday I went into work to find our server had glitched at some point between Friday night and Saturday morning, so I spent most of Saturday morning getting it back to the way it was.
- Then she noticed the DNA scanner and the primary security glitching as well, the other things that had been functional during the blast.
1960s (originally US): of unknown origin. The original sense was 'a sudden surge of current', hence 'malfunction, hitch' in astronautical slang.
Although nowadays a glitch can be any kind of hitch or snag, the word was originally used by US electronic engineers in the 1960s to mean ‘a sudden surge of electrical current’. Astronauts began using the word to talk about any sudden malfunction of equipment. It may derive from Yiddish glitsh ‘a slippery place’.
- Example sentences
- I haven't had any major problems (though the Cover Flow view is a bit glitchy).
- So since updating to 1.1.3 I've slowly gotten the feeling that this may be the most glitchy update I have dealt with for nearly any one of their products.
Words that rhyme with glitchbewitch, bitch, ditch, enrich, fitch, flitch, hitch, itch, kitsch, Mitch, pitch, quitch, rich, snitch, stitch, switch, titch, twitch, which, witch
Definition of glitch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.