Definition of gloat in English:
Contemplate or dwell on one’s own success or another’s misfortune with smugness or malignant pleasure: his enemies gloated over his death
More example sentences
- This helped me to be a great deal less judgmental and to avoid gloating at the misfortune of others.
- My company launched a woman's forum, newspapers gloated over successful women and hotels and boutiques offered discounts to lady patrons.
- Smiling to herself, she gloated silently in her triumph of being the first one in the kitchen; therefore having first dibs on all of the food.
noun[in singular] informal Back to top
An act of gloating.
- A disaster for the media, but worth a gloat from everyone else.
- The flight coordinator could not contain the gloat as the aircraft lifted off to record another on-time take off.
- He did get the box down, so I could then have a quick gloat over all that loot I have up there, and will take years to get through.
- Example sentences
- But contrary to what the left-wing gloaters who have not bothered to follow the story until last night are writing, I have never made such claims.
- Late last night, I took the time to read the 39-page report - something which, it is clear to me, most of the callous gloaters on the other side of this debate have not bothered to do.
- He is no gloater, but his team's 1-0 victory over his old employers clearly provided a day to savour.
- Example sentences
- It turns out that if we confine ourselves to what the pundits gloatingly call ‘political reality’, the list isn't too spectacular.
- She cedes custody of her boy to her first partner and gives up arguing with the gloatingly triumphant son, as he ferociously denounces her shortcomings as a mother.
- It gloatingly screams that the two leaders have ‘acknowledged receipt of the amount with thanks’.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan