Definition of glomerulus in English:
noun (plural glomeruli-ˌlī)Anatomy & Biology
1.1A cluster of capillaries around the end of a kidney tubule, where waste products are filtered from the blood.
- The glomerulus filters the blood and the waste products are removed.
- Pressure of blood in the glomerulus causes fluid to filter into Bowman's capsule.
- IgA Nepropathy progressively ruins the kidneys' filtering units, called glomeruli.
- Example sentences
- By light microscopy, glomeruli showed glomerular basement membrane thickening.
- This force drives plasma from the glomerular capillaries into the nephrons.
- Jones silver stains highlighted the basement membrane spikes in some, but not all, glomerular capillaries.
Definition of glomerulus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan