A soft-bodied beetle with luminescent organs in the abdomen, especially the larvalike wingless female, which emits light to attract the flying male.
- Families Lampyridae and Phengodidae: several genera numerous species including the American Zarhipis integripennis
More example sentences
- While some locals have ascribed the lights to UFOs, others blamed swarms of fireflies or even glow-worms.
- That night, after dark, we descended to a cutaway in a hillside where we could view the tiny lights of glow-worms, a first for all of us.
- The best way to explore them and see the unique blue light of the glow-worms clinging to them is on a black-water rafting trip.
More definitions of glowwormDefinition of glowworm in:
- The British & World English dictionary