Definition of gloxinia in English:
A tropical American plant with large, velvety, bell-shaped flowers.
- Genera Gloxinia and Sinningia, family Gesneriaceae: several species, in particular the florists' gloxinia (S. speciosa), which is a popular houseplant
- Some of my favorite windowsill plants include many varieties of trailing ivy, African violets, primroses, pansies and violets, geraniums, gloxinias, cyclamens, coleus, kalonchoes, peperomias, and heartleaf philodendrons.
- Usually a gloxinia can be kept as an indoor plant, but the ones from seed do not have the strength to grow another year.
- African violets, gloxinias and achimenes are beautiful when in bloom, but pretty dull otherwise.
Modern Latin, named after Benjamin P. Gloxin, the 18th-century German botanist who first described it.
Words that rhyme with gloxiniaAbyssinia, Bithynia, curvilinear, Gdynia, interlinear, Lavinia, linear, rectilinear, Sardinia, triclinia, Virginia, zinnia
Definition of gloxinia in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan